Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wikipedia

I have always been told in my classes to never use Wikipedia as a source. My teachers said it is unreliable. To be honest though I go there when I need a quick answer. I always agreed that it probably wasn't the best source for answers when I found out people can change it.
However, it never occurred to me who would be making the edits to Wikipedia. But it makes sense that companies like Wal-Mart and Diebold would be making changes in their best interest. With the ability that people have now to check who is editing the information these companies will just find another way to change it. In my opinion this just proves that the teachers are right. Wikipedia is not an accurate source for information.

2 comments:

  1. You should never use an encyclopedia of any kind as a source for school work. But there is nothing wrong with getting basic information from Wikipedia and then go on to the sources and external links from the articles and use those as official sources for your school work. Just remember to read everything with a critical eye. If I make a website with my name on it and no others can change it, no matter how "official" it may look, that doesn't mean that everything I write on it has to be right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with blue elf when blue elf says you should never use an encyclopedia. Original research, a google search, a book are all good, but sometimes all we need is a summary from an encyclopedia. But I do agree that everything you read should be done with a critical eye. And your brain should also be turned on!

    ReplyDelete