Tuesday, November 17, 2009

At the Teacher's Desk

At the Teacher's Desk is a collaborative blog where teachers from around the country are able to share ideas and experiences. I found reading their blogs to be very informative and some kind of funny.

The Pell Institute
The first blog I read was Scary Statistics. It was a very eye-opening blog. Jarrod Lamshed wrote about how we can make school a more successful place for male students. He used statistics from the Pell Institute that included staggering statistics. One example is for every 100 girls suspended from public elementary and secondary schools, 250 boys are suspended. For every 100 girls expelled, 335 boys are expelled. I know that sometimes there is a double standard for boys and girls, however, we really need to find a way to make things fair in our schools.

The second blog I read was about a teacher who was supposed to be doing a Skype in his class when the power went out. Panicked, he tried to call his wife so she could Skype the other teacher.No answer. So he tried his friend to see if he could log into his account to Skype the other teacher and tell her the power was out. No answer. So he used his phone to get to Twitter. He thought he had solved the problem. However, that didn't work out either...so he told this whole story to conclude that if he had just gotten a phone number all of this could have been avoided. Sometimes the most simple solution is right in front of us.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately that solution wasn't in front of me. To me the post was about being better organized as well as how well we are connected today. The social web has many strands and I was fortunate enough to find the one strand I could use.

    Mr. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the post to mean something completely different. If I had been in that situation I would have tried the phone first. However, I'm not as tech savvy as you =) so I guess to me the phone would have been an easy fix for me. But I understand now what you were trying to say.

    ReplyDelete