Sunday, October 4, 2009

iPods in Instruction

iPod Nano
In 2004 Duke University provided students with iPods. Students were able to listen to podcast, record classroom lectures and review. We have learned how some K-12 schools have also started using the iPod to enhance their curriculum in areas such as mathematics, science, reading, foreign language, and history. It is becoming a tool that is accessible to anyone.

Click here to read this study about the effects, both positive and negative, that the iPod has in the classroom. I knew many of the positive effects of the iPod already but was surprised about what some of the negatives were. The battery life was short, there was difficulty with file sharing, and the students did not have the basic technological skills to "work easily in this environment." I don't agree with this last point. I think that younger students are more technologically advanced today as opposed to students in previous years. It was also pointed out that students used the iPod for other purposes half the time. I think that this a great tool for the classroom though. I would be thrilled to be able to use this kind of technology in the class. It has far more positives than negatives in my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. I am thinking about making an iPod Touch a requirement for next semester. This breaks my Free rule. What is your reaction to this idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read other studies on using iPods in education and particularly for K12 reading recovery, they are great. I thought you made a good point with the negative aspects although I agree that kids have no problem with technology, they pick it up FAST, my class certainly does.

    The biggest problem I have relates to Dr Strange's comment above. I work in a low decile school and neither the school nor the families can afford iPods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it should be mandatory to buy an iPod Touch. Make it an option but not mandatory. I know that I couldn't afford to buy one...too many bills and not enough time to work and do school.

    ReplyDelete