Monday, October 12, 2009

New Media Literacies Project

Kaelan Doyle Myerscough
I looked over the site and I found this video in the blogs that they post. The video had a ninth grade girl at the Games for Change Festival. She spoke to the audience of educators, academics,and game developers about how they can develop games to create social change. I really enjoyed this video. Click here to watch the video.

I liked how she pointed out that while everyone at this festival was talking about how kids learn etc. that she understands why it works because she is a kid. She gets why games help kids learn. She spoke about immersion and how that works differently for boys and girls. First, don't let the students know they are learning. It won't work. It takes away from the gaming experience. Boys like the characters they can create, while the girls like to create a story.

I just enjoyed how they actually got a kids perspective. Allowing the students to talk for themselves and express why they feel that this form of education is important makes this project more relevant to me.

2 comments:

  1. Yes a child's point of view does matter! By the child being able to converse with their teacher about learning, their education will be clearer to them!!!!

    It was a pleasure reading your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I added the web site to my Delicious collection on games!

    ReplyDelete