Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Networked Student

Wendy Drexler
I like the idea of networking in the classroom. It allows the student to become an independent learner. It would help the student think and help make the information become relevant instead of just memorizing so you can take a test. Would it actually work? Many questions come to mind as I think about this.

One thing I am positive about though is the fact that the teacher is always going to be an intricate part of the classroom. Whether or not the class is networking or using some other form of technology it is important for the teacher to be there. They help guide and motivate the students in the quest for knowledge. Learning wouldn't be taking place if the teacher wasn't part of the classroom.

Honestly, I'm not sure if networking would be good for some middle/high schools. I see many students being lazy and not wanting to do anything that would be "extra" work. However, I believe that if we started teaching students from elementary school to think outside the box that networking could be the way to go in the future.
Click here to see the Networked Student video.

1 comment:

  1. So if they are lazy, what is our responsibility? If using new media captures their attention, which I argue would happen (at least more than other approaches), isn't that a good thing?

    ReplyDelete